Holiday Lake 4-H FAQs

Search our Site

Find Our Most Frequent Questions Below

Have a question about Holiday Lake 4-H? Check below to see some of our most frequently asked questions below. Don't see your question on the list? No problem! Feel free to visit our CONTACT US page and send us a message.


How can I get in touch with my camper?

For an emergency call the center office at (434) 248-5444. After hours, you will be directed to someone who can help you.

For daily communication with your camper we suggest a good ole letter writing campaign. Nothing feels better than hearing your name yelled out at mail call. Some parents choose to pre-write letters, label one for each day of the week, and sneak them in at registration. Care packages are welcome. However, please do not send food or candy. Food = mice = snakes!

Can my camper use their cell phone?

Cell phones and other electronic devices are not allowed during camp. If campers bring electronic devices they will be turned in to the 4-H Agent to prevent damaged or lost property. It will be returned at the end of the week. So please keep it at home. THERE IS NO CELL RECEPTION ANYWAY.

Who is watching my camper?

Holiday Lake 4-H Educational Center hires summer staff 18 years and older that lead program activities. Many activities require intense and thorough training and certifications.

Teen Leaders are in direct supervision of the campers. They are thoroughly trained and supervised by the county 4-H Agent. There is a minimum of one Leader for every 8 campers.

Adult volunteers are handpicked by the 4-H Agent to give additional support with supervision, and program instruction. There is a minimum of one adult for every 20 campers.

All paid employees, adult volunteers, and Teen Leaders have been interviewed, screened with background checks, and trained to take care of our campers.

What if my child wets the bed?

Once discovered, issues of bed wetting is kept very discreet as to not embarrass the camper. The cabin Teen Leader will report the incident to the 4-H Agent who will have bedding and other items washed/dried and replaced before anyone notices a thing.

Is Financial Assistance available?

Financial Assistance may be available through your local Extension Office. Please contact your 4-H Agent for details.

What kind of food will my camper have?

Holiday Lake 4-H Center has a dedicated kitchen team that strives to prepare great tasting, nutritious, balanced meals for our campers. Examples of meals may be:


  • Eggs
  • Sausage
  • Fresh Fruit
  • Cereal



  • Chicken Strips
  • Mac & Cheese
  • Vegetables



  • Roast Beef
  • Mashed Potatoes
  • Vegetable


Lunch and supper will also provide a salad bar. Fresh fruit is available all day. Soy butter (peanut butter like) sandwiches are also available for campers with more refined pallets.

What if my camper has special dietary needs?

Please indicate those needs on the Dietary Needs Form and inform your 4-H Agent. This information will be communicated to the kitchen and accommodations will be made for your camper.

Can my camper bunk with their friend?

Yes! Your camper can request one other camper. They must request each other. Campers must be the same gender and no more than one year apart.

Is there air conditioning?

Sorry…there is not any air conditioning in the cabins. Plenty of fans keep the air moving through our 1930s WPA cabins and lodges.

Can my camper attend camp with a county that isn't where we live?

Yes! Please contact the 4-H Agent of the county you wish to attend for details.

Our Mission

Holiday Lake 4-H Educational Center's mission is to improve the quality of life through educating youth and adults in a natural setting.

Contact Us

1267 4-H Camp Road
Appomattox, VA 24522

(434) 248-5444

(434) 248-6749